Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Of Resolutions & Worries




 Well, it's another new year; a time when people everywhere make resolutions, big and small.

One of the most common resolutions people make is to lose weight and get fit.  It's the same every year, and you'd have to be living under a rock not to notice retailers emphasizing the point.

Myself, I don't make resolutions.  I figure if I don't make them, I won't break them, thus starting my year off with one less thing to worry about.  


Not that I'd notice one less worry among my vast collection of them.  I guess you could call me a chronic worrier; one of those people who worries about everything.  Or, as my mom has always said, "someone who'd worry about not having something to worry about".

It's not that I try to worry, I don't.  For me though, not worrying is like not breathing.



So, what do my worries have to do with New Year resolutions?  After all, I don't make them, so I don't have to worry about breaking them.  Actually, the answer is simple, and very common for me; I worry about others and how they're doing.

What sparked me into writing this post was a post on 98.7 The Bull's website, by one of the morning DJ's, Jake Byron.

I tend to worry about people I know and like, friends, family, etc.; Jake falls into that category.  So, when I read Jake's post, I guess I was kind of reading between the lines of what he'd written.  

I worried, because I read about how he had a bad 2013, for various reasons, and how his confidence had been shaken by some of those reasons.  That's not the Jake I know.  It may be the "real" Jake, I don't know; but it's still not the Jake *I* know.  

Naturally, my worry kicked in.  I emailed Jake, just to check on him and if he was going to be okay.  I told him that I didn't need details of what was wrong; it's not any of my business to know that.  I just wanted to be sure he was going to be okay.  He assured me he would be; so I'm a little less worried than I was before.  

Of course, before I set out to write this post, I asked Jake if it would be okay.  I didn't want to offend him by writing something he may not like.  Again, a worry, again, an assurance that it would be fine.

So there you have it, my post about resolutions and worries. The worry is probably something I should make a resolution about; though if I did, I'd worry about not breaking my resolution, so I think I'll just stick to worrying about those around me, and be there if they need me.    


No comments:

Post a Comment