Thursday, March 22, 2018

He's Got the Blues

A few years ago our dog, Buttons, injured his back by jumping off my bed the wrong way.  It hasn't happened since then, until this past Monday.  My son and I came home from a meeting and found Buttons just huddled on the floor shaking.  I knew that shake wasn't fear, I remembered it from the last time he was hurt.

I made an appointment with Buttons' vet for the next day, and my son took him in to be checked.  Sure enough, Buttons had tweaked his back again.

It seems while at the vet however, Buttons didn't want to cooperate.  Understandable, as he was in pain and hasn't ever liked strangers touching him. He tried to nip at the vet and his assistants, resulting in him having to be muzzled.  Then when it came time to have his x-rays taken, the assistant put a pair of "doggles" over his eyes to protect them.  It was at that point my son decided he needed a picture of Buttons in his new attire, so he whipped out his cell phone, snapped a shot, and posted it on his Facebook page.

Though I felt bad for Buttons, I did think it was a cute pic of him.  The following day, I showed my co-workers the pic, and told the story of what had happened at the vet.  One of my co-workers, Jeanne, said Buttons looked like a blues singer.  The idea got stuck in my head and just wouldn't leave until I did something about it.  That "something" was to write a blues song for Buttons.  I then took the song to Jeanne, who became my co-writer, making suggestions of how to make the song even better.

Long story short, I decided to share Butttons' blues ditty with the rest of the world, (or at least my friends), via my blog page.  With that said, following is the pic and blues song it inspired.  When reading the lyrics, it's helpful to keep a common blues riff in mind; the one that's slow and goes, "duh duh...duh duh duh duh duh..."  (I tried to find a sample to put here, but had no luck.)  If you're not sure which riff I mean, I'm sure any slow, bluesy riff will work.  Enjoy!


THE BLUE MUZZLE DOGGLE BLUES

Went to my doc
'Cause I had a pain
Doc told my owner
"He's got a strain"
"In his back"
"Same as before"
"He's got it again"

Oooooh yeah, I got it again.  (Pitiful howl)

Then that doc
Though I was sore,
He poked,
And he prodded 
Til I couldn't 
Take it no more

(Low growl)  No more, no couldn't take it no more

Went on the defense
Wanted him to stop
So I took a nip
At his fingers
Yeah that doc, 
He almost got bit

(Kind of snarling)  Oh, oh, oh, yeah, almost got bit

And in return
What did I get,
A blue muzzle wrapped 'round my lip
Yeah, a bright blue muzzle right on my lip

(A second of silence because of the muzzle, then restart)

But the doc,
He wasn't done yet,
Oh, oh, oooooh no, he wasn't done yet

Took x-rays 
Of my backside
But 'fore he did
Made sure I had
Doggles covering my lids

(Hoarse whisper)  Doggles, goggles for dogs

Oh yeah, he put doggles on my lids

Then to my dismay
See my owner
Aim his cell phone my way

(Pitiful howl)  Oooooh, no, no, no, don't do me this way

Didn't care
How silly I looked
Just snapped a pic
And posted it to Facebook

(Sad sound)  Put it on Facebook for all to take a look

(Moaning howl)  Oooooh the humiliation
(Moaning howl)  Oh, oh, oh, the shame
Don't think
No, don't think
I'll ever
Be the same

(Long, pitiful howl)  No, I'll never be the same

Yeah, I got me 
A bad case of
Those doggone
Blue muzzle
Doggle blues

(Low voice)  A bad, bad case of
(Low voice)  Those doggone
(Low voice)  Blue muzzle
(Low voice)  Doggle blues

(Go from low voice, to loud howl)  I said a bad case of
(Continue loud howl)  Those doggone
(Continue loud howl)  Blue muzzle
(Continue loud howl)  Doggle
(Pitch voice up to a howling shriek)  BAH - LOOOOO - ZZZZZ



No comments:

Post a Comment