Friday, April 29, 2011

CONCERTS ON THE RIVERFRONT

This year KUPL will be sponsoring two concerts as part of the Rose Festival.  On May 29th Justin Moore, (along with Christian Kane and Walker Hayes), will take the stage; and June 11th will be Craig Morgan.  Both will be on the riverfront in what’s being billed as the “RoZone”.
This got me to thinking about an idea I’ve had for quite awhile now.  About not just having concerts on the riverfront, but actually having them on the water.  It’s not something that hasn’t already been done.  Alan Jackson for one has held concerts on the water before.  My idea is along the same lines, just on the Willamette River instead of somewhere in the south.
I’ve always thought the Morrison Bridge would be a cool place to have a concert.  On one side the bridge pillars have these big areas that extend out from them, (see photo below); that always remind me of a stage. 
                                     
I think it would be cool to have bands on each one, and have people be able to gather around the bridge in their boats.  For those without water transportation, they could line up along either side of the waterfront to hear the music.
Another idea would be to have people enter contests, (through radio stations, TV stations, etc.), where they could win a chance to actually be on the “stage” part of the Morrison bridge while the performance is going on.  Maybe tie that in with a sponsor, like La-Z-Boy for instance.  They could provide the seating for the event, and the winners would get to keep the chairs.  Or there could just be regular seating, like folding chairs, for those sitting on the stage.
My reasoning for using both areas of the bridge is simple:  Start with a singer, band, etc., on one area; when they’re done, the show can switch instantly to the other area, with no interruption of the music.  While the second act is performing, if there’s to be a third, the first area could be readied.  The entertainment would keep switching between the two areas until the concert was over.
Another cool thing about the Morrison Bridge is that it can be lit up at night.  All the more reason it reminds me of a stage. 


I’m guessing since the bridge can have different colors for lighting, it could be used to light the stage area for a night time show also.
Over all, I don’t know if any of this is really possible.  As I said though, I’ve always thought it was a cool idea, so I decided to share that idea here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment