Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Simon in the Morning-4-19-11--Favorite Tim McGraw Songs

Yesterday's “Simon in the Morning” show reminded me just how much I sometimes see things differently than the rest of the world.

Listeners were asked to either call KUPL, or post on the “Simon in the Morning” Facebook page, their favorite Tim McGraw song.  Near the end of the show, the votes were tallied and a list of the top 5 Tim McGraw songs was compiled.

When I heard the #1 listener voted song, “Live Like You Were Dying”, I realized I wouldn’t have chosen that song; it wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.  For as sentimental and caring as I am, for some reason I tend to shy away from songs like this one.  I have no idea why. 

It got me to thinking of other songs that were big hits that I just didn’t understand how it could be.  
The first song I thought of was “Amazed” by Lonestar, which was a huge hit.  To me, it’s okay, though their cover of Marc Cohen’s “Walkin’ in Memphis” is a song I like much better.  Also, Lonestar had a minor hit with the song “Mountains”; another song I like even more than “Amazed”.

Then there’s the late Chris LeDoux.  In my opinion, just about everything Chris recorded is underrated. This point is emphasized by the song, “Life is a Highway”.  Most people know the Rascal Flatts version from the movie “Cars”.  However, Chris had a minor hit with the song well before Rascal  Flatts recorded it.  Though the Flatts’ version is good, I still like Chris’ better.


Of course, before Chris LeDoux, the writer of “Life is a Highway", Tom Cochrane had a minor hit with it in 1991.  No offense to Tom, but I really don’t like his version at all. 


Even when it comes to my all-time favorite country artist, David Lee Murphy, I have to be honest…I’ve never quite understood how “Dust on the Bottle" became a #1 hit; yet “Party Crowd” and “Loco” didn’t.  “Dust on the Bottle” just isn’t one of my favorite DLM songs, while I love both “Party Crowd” and “Loco”.

I could ramble on and on about any number of songs I like; and how most of them are ones others probably wouldn’t choose to be a hit.  I’ll end this for now though, secure in the knowledge that the tuba player I follow is still within my sight.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment