Monday, April 18, 2011

Reality TV--I've Been Sucked In!!

When it comes to "reality" shows, I'm pretty good at avoiding them.  Until recently, I could proudly state that I'd never seen even part of an episode of Celebrity Apprentice. 

As much as I like Trace Adkins, even he couldn't get me to watch the show.  Then this year, one celebrity changed all that.  You probably think I mean John Rich, who currently represents country music on Celebrity Apprentice...Nope.  I actually gave in because of my childhood crush...David Cassidy.  (Please feel free at this point to take a moment to get the laughing out of your system.  It's okay, I'm used to it.)   :)  Better?  Okay, let's continue.

Until I heard that David Cassidy would be on Celebrity Apprentice, I had no interest in watching the show.  Even at that point I was still resisting tuning in...Then I heard who the other celebrities were, and I was intrigued.  How could you not want to watch  Gary Busey  interact with the rest of the celebs?  It had "train wreck" written all over it!  Or as I like to put it, "it's like watching a stock car race; you're waiting for the big wrecks, just hoping no one gets hurt".

So, giving in to temptation, I tuned in to the first Celebrity Apprentice show of 2011...Two hours later, what do I get?  David Cassidy gets fired!  ARGH!!!  By then however, it was too late, I'd been sucked in by the show.

Now, for two hours every Sunday night, I'm in front of my television, waiting for the wrecks and to see who gets fired.  Never mind that it plays havoc with my sleep and getting up early on Monday mornings.  Never mind that I could watch the show online at a later date...No, I have to see it when it's happening...Don't want to have someone spoil it for me.  :)

You may think I'm sounding a bit negative about something I've done to myself...In reality though, (every pun intended), I've found a positive in all of this.  I'm not a fan of John Rich. (from Big & Rich)...However, after watching him on Celebrity Apprentice, I do have a new respect for the man.

Despite everything his team, (Backbone), has gone through, good and bad, John has behaved as a gentleman.  When he's angry, he speaks his mind, without losing his temper.  He's up front and honest about what he thinks and how he feels, and he's not afraid to say so.  All the while he tries to make his point without ruffling feathers, unless it's necessary.  As my son put it, "for as rowdy a reputation as John Rich has, he's a class act".  I agree.

So, that's my positive spin on being sucked in to watching Celebrity Apprentice.  It's taught me that people can still behave, be classy, stand up for what they believe in and get their point across without losing control.

Not sure if I'll watch another season of Celebrity Apprentice or not; but I guess I don't regret watching this season...for now anyway...I'll have to see if who I want to win, wins this year.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment