Saturday, August 6, 2011

Craig Campbell @ The Bing Lounge-8-3-11

The only thing I knew about Craig Campbell before seeing him at the Bing Lounge were his two singles, "Family Man" and "Fish".  I like both songs, so I was interested to see and learn more about Craig; I wasn't disappointed. 
 
 

Acoustic shows are great, because you get to really hear an artist's voice, without all the other things that can clog up a recording or performance.  Craig Campbell definitely has a great voice.  His style and sound harkens back to the country music of the late 80's, early 90's.  Not a big surprise when you learn that was Craig's favorite era for country.  When asked, he said his biggest influence from then is Travis Tritt.  Just my opinion, I think Craig could easily reach Travis' level of fame, or higher. 

Watching Craig in the Bing Lounge, it was easy to see he has a great sense of humor, as evidenced by a couple of songs he did, "I Bought It", and "When I Get It".  As much as I love the song "Fish", I think these two songs have become my new favorites of Craig's music.

Speaking of "Family Man", Craig knows about this first hand, as he's a husband and dad to two little girls.  Craig told a story about how before his first child was born he was positive the baby would be a boy.  With that inspiration in mind, Craig wrote a song about his yet unborn child, "My Little Cowboy".  Of course, when his first child was born, it was a girl, but Craig was okay with that.

After the concert, Craig took time to sign autographs and take pictures with anyone wanting one; even though he did have a plane he had to catch.  Sometimes, when you see and hear someone on a stage, they're different when you meet them in person; not Craig.  Even though he was under a time crunch, Craig took the time with each person, and was very nice to everyone who met him.

To be honest, I've seen a lot of great performances in the Bing Lounge, and met a lot of artists who are really nice.  Of all of them though, I think Craig Campbell is the one that's impressed me the most so far; enough that I went and bought is CD on my way home that day.

If you ever get a chance to see Craig Campbell in concert, do; you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment