Thursday, August 18, 2011

Phil Vassar @ the Bing Lounge-8-15-2011

(Note: The word for today is supposed to be red, in all caps. Unable to do that, so please look for the BOLD, italic, word with a strikethrough. That is today's 5,000 point word.)

I'll be the first to admit, I can be very biased when it comes to Phil Vassar. I love his music and have always felt he hasn't gotten as much attention as he deserves; both as a singer and songwriter.

If you've never seen PHIL in concert, you're really missing something special. He doesn't just sing, he puts on a heck of a performance and is all over the stage, the piano and anywhere else he decides to land.

Because of the small stage in the Bing Lounge, Phil wasn't able to move around like he usually does. That doesn't mean the show was any less entertaining however; quite the opposite. Not only did he sing his own hits, like "Carlene", "Six-Pack Summer" and "Just Another Day In Paradise", he sang a medley of hits he's written for others, such as Tim McGraw, Jo Dee Messina and Collin Raye.

In addition to his hits, Phil also played his latest single, "Let's Get Together", for the crowd. I love this song! Have since the first time I heard it.
<a href='http://www.bing.com/videos/browse?mkt=en-us&from=us-KUPL.com&vid=0be3d1bd-fbaa-4c62-ae70-11bc48ad71a9' target='_new' title='Phil Vassar - Let&#39;s Get Together' >Video: Phil Vassar - Let&#39;s Get Together</a>
The packed house at the Bing Lounge loved every minute Phil was on stage.

Besides singing, Phil told about his childhood, how he started playing piano, and various other stories about his life and career. Though the show was free to those in attendance, even if there had been a fee, attendees definitely got their money's worth!

Had it not been for the fact that there were still photos to take, and autographs to sign for anyone wanting one, I think Phil would have played even longer than he did. You could really tell he was enjoying himself. He commented several times how cool the Bing Lounge is.

When it was time to get my autograph, I told Phil it seemed like he had been having trouble staying in one place while playing, because of the size of the stage. He said yeah, he was used to moving around more. I told him even without moving around, he did an awesome job; and it was the truth, he did!

On my way home that night, I thought how cool it was that Phil Vassar had played the Bing Lounge a year to the day after it first opened. I just wish I'd thought of it while I was still there!

Over all, as I said earlier, those in the audience the night of August 15, 2011, were treated to a show they won't soon forget. The Bing Lounge has hosted a year's worth of great entertainment so far. Having Phil Vassar play on the one year anniversary was an awesome way to kick off another year of great music.

No comments:

Post a Comment