Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What Do You See?

Sometimes the smallest things can capture my attention, and keep me fascinated for quite awhile.  For instance, this weekend I found myself watching dragonflies, and making up little scenes for what I was seeing.
Dragonflies have always reminded me of a cross between a helicopter and a bi-plane.  To me, their bodies look like the body of a helicopter; while their double set of wings look like a bi-plane. 

As I was watching different ones flit around the yard Sunday, I imagined that the dragonflies were the traffic reporters for the rest of the insect world.  I could just see a traffic jam of ants somewhere getting the latest traffic update from a DRAGONFLY.  I know, it sounds silly, but it really is fun to just let your imagination loose and follow it to see where it leads.  

This year I haven't seen nearly as many dragonflies as in previous years, though there are still quite a few around.  It wasn't until about a year ago that I realized how many colors of dragonflies there are.  There are a lot, and they're really pretty.   

My son, Josh, likes taking pictures of nature, and one of my favorites he's taken is of a dragonfly.  Even this picture had me imagining about traffic reports and the like.  I just figured dragonflies have to land and "refuel" sometimes, before continuing with their traffic reports.
I guess you're thinking this is a pretty silly blog for today; you're probably right.  Though this is kind of where my head has been since my Sunday watching dragonflies.  I figured I'd share it here, and maybe get it out of my system a bit.  Thank you for allowing me that opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment