Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Davy Jones

In a recent post I mentioned that the only "non-real" monkeys I like is the group from the sixties, The Monkees.

I've been a fan of the group since I first saw and heard them on TV in 1966. The show was a mix of crazy gags, loose plots and music each week. To a seven year old, the silliness of the show had an attraction. At the time, the music was kind of secondary to the show, though I did find myself liking the music as well.

Even at that young age, I remember having my first "crush" on a celebrity. Davy Jones, with his cute face, and charming English accent sent pre-teen and teenage girls' hearts aflutter around the world.

In reality, The Monkees were a put together band, aimed at drawing attention away from the Beatles and the subsequent British Invasion of music. Though they were never taken as seriously as the Beatles, (having been weighed down with the "bubble gum music" moniker), The Monkees definitely made an impact in the music world.

Generations have grown up watching reruns of the show, and buying the group's music. And while members, Micky Dolenz, Mike Nesmith, and Peter Tork have all had their adoring fans, it was Davy who always had the largest following.

As with any celebrity, you hear good and bad about any one of them. Davy is no exception. Whether the stories are true or not, I can't say. I do know that when a friend and I met Davy after a show a few years ago, he was very kind and courteous.

I feel lucky to have met Davy Jones, especially in light of today's news that Jones died in Florida, due to an apparent heart attack. He was fairly young, in retrospect to most sixties teen idols; he turned 66 years old on December 30th last year.

Davy was still performing until his untimely death; his latest, (and last), performance being in Oklahoma, February 19th.

While Jones' death will never rival say, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, or Whitney Houston, his death is newsworthy. The news media, social networks and the like, are abuzz remembering Davy Jones today, and the memories he's left to all those former teenybopper girls. And I'll admit, for 66 years old, I think Davy aged pretty well!
Rest in peace Davy, knowing you made the lives of girls everywhere a little brighter.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done, Nola. He'd be happy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete