Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Whitney Houston


I've had people ask me why I haven't made a post about Whitney Houston's death; after all, it's been over a week since then. My answer is simple: because just about everyone else has already written about it, covered every angle, you name it; what's left to be said? For those who still wonder about my opinions though, please read on.

It's not that I have anything against Ms. Houston, I don't. I can see both sides of the whole situation of her death though.

On one hand, here's this person who had an incredible voice and presence, who helped set the course of music in the 80's. For this Whitney should definitely be remembered, and respected.

On the other hand, does this mean that I think her death should have been honored so far as to have flags flown at half staff? No, I don't. I think this is something that should be held for true heroes, the military, firefighters, police officers, etc.

While Whitney had a fantastic career, she also made some bad choices in her life; choices that affected her, her family and her career. Certainly, this can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time; so it's not my place to pass judgement on her actions. What I'm trying to say is, we all have our own demons; in some cases it just seems the media has glorified Houston's in light of her untimely death.

I truthfully believe there should be tributes to the woman, she's earned it on some level. I just think they should be a bit more subdued than they have been. While she's left an indelible impact on the entertainment industry; Whitney is not a hero. I say this, not because of the drugs and alcohol, I say it because compared to those who lay their lives on the line every day, Whitney Houston doesn't even come remotely close.

This doesn't apply just to Whitney though. It's just my opinion, but I don't think there's an entertainer, athlete, or anyone who could, or should be considered a hero, unless they've actually been in the same footsteps of real heroes.

Now those reading this know why I wasn't going to write about Whitney's death; because of my definite opinions on the subject. I try my best to NOT offend anyone, and I'm pretty sure I may have with this post. If so, I do apologize.

1 comment:

  1. For The Lord God All Powerful, All Knowing, All Seeing Impartial Goodness Sake;
    Jesus Christ Of The Only Holy Bible Is Son Of God Savior;
    One Strong One YHVH Holy Holy Holy Spirit Of God;.
    _______________
    Public real human beings like John Cardinal O'Connor,
    Paul Newman of "The Holy In The Wall," Camps,
    and Whitney Houston;-
    whereby, The Protection, Providing in Proper-fortitude by
    Divinely Given Blessing, Inspirations, & Favor (Grace),
    Is Always From Heaven Above Creation For Children, Youth, & Impressionable & every adult, like One Devout Husband Gentleman or One Devout Wife Lady.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete