Thursday, July 5, 2012

Five of My Ten Favorite Current Country Songs--Continued

(Today's word will be in red and bold.)


In Tuesday's post, I listed five of my ten favorite, current country songs.  As with that listing, the second half of my list will be in alphabetical order.

First up in today's post is Due West.  I've liked these guys since the first time I heard "Between the Bible and the Belt", and "When the Smoke Clears."  Unfortunately, neither song really made it on the radio.  The band then went through a label change, and are finally back with a new single, "Things You Can't Do In A Car".  I'm really hoping this song is the one that breaks these guys through to the masses.  They've got so much talent, and really deserve to be heard more.

The Eli Young Band's "Even if it Breaks Your Heart", is the only song on my list that is actually getting a lot of airplay on the radio.  I know it's partly due to the fact this song is following their latest single, "Crazy Girl", which went to #1 on the charts.  Even if that weren't the case though, the band's current single is definitely a winner!

It surprises me that the next song on my list hasn't been getting as much radio time as the artist's songs usually do.  George Strait is known as "King George" for a reason; he's had over fifty #1 hits during his career; and seems to be a chameleon when it comes to music styles.  Yet, his latest offering, "Drinkin' Man", doesn't seem to have really taken off like other Strait tunes.  I can't honestly remember hearing this song during peak times for songs in heavy rotation.  Let' hope it's just a slow mover, and that Strait continues his string of hits.

The first time I heard Gwen Sebastian's "Met Him in a Motel Room" was live in the Bing Lounge in Portland, Oregon.  I liked it then, however really didn't think about it too much.  Once I heard it on the radio, (overnights of course), a few times though, it really grew on me.  While the delivery of the message is rather convoluted, it's also what makes this song so interesting.  It's a tune that needs to be heard more than once, to really understand what it's about.  Sebastian does an excellent job singing the song.

The last song on my list is, "Don't Miss Your Life", by Phil Vassar.  To me, Vassar has always been one of the most underrated singer/songwriters in country music.  Yes, he's had his fair share of  hit singles; it just seems to be an extra effort to get Phil's heard on the radio, compared to other artists.  "Don't Miss Your Life" is the song that got me putting together this list.  So far it's still only played during late nights and early mornings; though, as with other songs I've mentioned, hopefully that will change soon.

And there you have it; my list of my favorite current country songs.  I'm sure those of you reading this have your own favorites; I'd love to hear what other listeners are enjoying musically at the moment.  Maybe together we can get these songs, and others, the boost they need to be radio hits.

1 comment:

  1. Met Him In A Motel Room by Gwen Sebastian is a really good song and deserves to be heard on the radio often!

    ReplyDelete