Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kenny Chesney & Going Bald

(Today's KUPL Listener Blog word is in the post below this one.)

By now anyone who listens to country has heard Kenny Chesney's latest single, "Come Over".  For those who haven't though, I'll add the video in this post:

I know I'm not the only one who, upon hearing this song for the first time, heard the lyrics differently.  There are very few people who *don't* hear "COMB over", instead of  "COME over".  The fact that Chesney himself is bald just adds to the humor of the mix up.  When things get stuck in my head, I have to do something about it; in this case, it was to rewrite "Come Over", to "Comb Over". 

As I always do, I worked over each line of the song, trying to come up with a new story, while still keeping the rhythm and rhyme of the original tune.  When I had it done, I did what I usually do, sent it to Scott, Jolynn and Jake, from KUPL's "Simon in the Morning" show.  By now they've gotten used to my craziness, and take it in stride.

With this rewrite though, Jake emailed me and said once the real song was higher up the charts, he wanted to have the parody done professionally!   WOW!!!   And that's exactly what happened; when "Come Over" hit the top five of the country charts Jake sent it off to be produced.  Before that however, he explained that most parodies don't use every line of the actual song.  He edited out some parts, and tweaked a few of the lines, to tighten them up; my first parody co-write!  I thought that was really cool!

This morning, I got an email from Jake, with the audio of  "Comb Over" attached; the parody had come to life!  I loved it, and was thrilled to hear something I'd had a hand in actually being performed.  I emailed Jake, thanking him for all his help with "Comb Over", and asked if I could write a post about it.  He said of course, then asked if my blog supports audio; bummer, it doesn't, so back to the drawing board I went.

In the meantime, unbeknownst to me, Jake was working up something of his own.  This afternoon, I got another email from Jake, with a link to a video he'd made for our parody!  Because of that, I'm now able to share with readers Jake's and my song rewrite, "Comb Over".  Please let us know what you think!


1 comment: