Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I Think I Get It Now

It's inevitable that up and coming artists, in any genre, will be compared to those who've gone before them.   Right now, Easton Corbin is that person in country music; from the first time he hit radio airwaves, he's been compared to George Strait.

While most artists enjoy themselves being compared to well known singers, Corbin has never been happy being identified with Strait; I never really understood that, until now.

This morning I heard a song on KUPL called "Hello, Goodbye".  I came in on the chorus of the song, and my first thought was, "that sounds like Vince Gill".  Listening to the rest of the song, I realized it wasn't Vince; though I did have to look up who the artist was.  As it turns out, it's newcomer, Tyler Farr.

Tyler is one of the artists I missed seeing in the Bing Lounge.  I did go to YouTube and listen to Farr doing "Hello, Goodbye", during that performance; to me he still has that Vince Gill sound.

When I first heard Farr on the radio, a light went off in my head.  I think I finally get why Easton Corbin doesn't like being compared to George Strait. Though Corbin has his own sound and style, as a newcomer, being compared to an icon like Strait can be daunting.

People expect him to do as well as Strait, right from the start, rather than giving him the chance to evolve on his own.  I especially realized this when I thought Farr sounded like Vince Gill.  I had put this new artist in the shoes of an icon, because I thought he sounded like Gill.  When enough people do comparisons like that, an artist will most likely be held to those expectations.

I still feel Easton Corbin should be proud to be named in the same company as George Strait; though now I understand why it also frustrates him.

No comments:

Post a Comment