Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"It Must Be A New York Thing"

(A quick note:  I've provided a word for today, however it may not work.  My fault, I forgot to give the words to Jake before he left for Nashville; my apologies to all.)

(Today's word will be in red and bold.)


Despite the novel I wrote for the post about my trip to New York, I realize that I left out a funny story; so that will be today's post.

While waiting for the subway to go to Staten Island, I kept hearing this faint, "beep, beep, beep".  I couldn't figure out where it was coming from, and neither could Patty.  At one point she suggested it was my cell phone.  I was sure it wasn't, since my phone wasn't on; I even pulled it out of my pocket to show her.

We get on the train, and we still hear the "beep, beep, beep".  It's faint, but just loud enough to be annoying.  I'd already checked my phone, so I knew that wasn't the source.  Patty's phone wasn't the culprit either.

At Staten Island, we don't hear the sound anymore, at least for a little bit; then it starts up again.  At this point I've come to the conclusion that it must be a "New York" thing; like a security system or something.  Thankfully it didn't last too long, and we didn't hear it the rest of the day.

Don't think anymore about it, since we didn't hear it anymore.  Then Wednesday, we get to the airport, and we start hearing "beep, beep, beep", again.  Same as before, faint but loud enough to be annoying.  By that time my curiosity had taken over; so the next airport personnel I saw, I asked about the sound.

The first thing the woman says is, "it's your cell phone".  I say no, because I'd checked the day before, and it wasn't on when I'd heard the sound.  She insists that it is, and says she knows it is, because her phone has the same alarm.  I was STILL positive it wasn't my phone though, since I've never set the alarm on it.

In the meantime the sound has stopped, but started up a minute later.  The woman says, "yeah, it's your phone".  I pull my phone out of my pocket, and guess what?


Not only is my stupid phone on, it's happily beeping away; even louder now that it's been released from the confines of my pocket!  Talk about embarassing!  ACK!!!

What's worse, I have NO idea how the alarm got set in the first place; I know I didn't do it.  Even worse than that; I had no idea how to get it to stop going off!  Seriously, I checked my phone, got to the clock setting and still had no idea how to make it stop coming on at the same time every day!

Lucky for me, Josh understands this stuff.  He took my phone and in less than five minutes he had the alarm turned off, hallelujah!

As you can tell, I use my phone a lot...NOT!  And I don't think I'll be getting another one any time soon; I mean, if I can't figure out this phone, heaven forbid what would happen if I had a smartphone!  That's all I need, a phone that's smarter than me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment