Tuesday, May 15, 2012

'A" Is For...

(Today's word will be in red, and bold.)

Ahhhh, avocados!  It's one of those things people either love or hate; very few people ride the fence on their like or dislike of this fruit.  There are several varieties of avocados; the most popular one though is the Haas type.

I'm the only person in my family who really likes avocados.  My mom likes guacamole, sometimes; my dad can take it or leave it, and my son despises avocados completely.

What got me thinking about the love/hate of avocados was this weekend.  For Mother's Day, my son grilled several types of meat, vegetables and fruit for us and his grandparents.  Chicken, steak, red peppers, pineapple, and, for me, avocados.

He also grilled some red onion for me, so I could make one of my favorite things, "Grilled Guacamole".  Basically, grilled guacamole is regular guacamole; the difference is, the ingredients have been grilled before being turned into the tasty dip.

I also took the guacamole to work with me Monday, to share with co-workers.  Much like my family, there are those who love the stuff, and those who despise it.  As one co-worker put it, "more for the rest of us; they don't know what they're missing".

For those interested in trying "Grilled Guacamole", it's very simple to make.

Cut red onions and red peppers into rings, and grill them until tender.  Then chop the rings into 1/4" to 1/2" pieces.

Cut each avocado in half, and remove the pits.  For each half, cover lightly with lemon or lime juice, olive oil, and  minced garlic.  Put the avocados cut side down on the grill and set a timer for five minutes.  When done, let them cool, then scoop the centers from the skins, into a bow, and mash them.  Add the red onion and red pepper, stirring well to mix.  Serve with chips, or use on sandwiches, etc.

There are no real measurements for this recipe; five medium avocados makes about 16 ounces of guacamole.  The amount of the other ingredients depends on the person's taste when making it.  Add as much, or as little of the listed ingredients as you want.










No comments:

Post a Comment