Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cartoons-Voices-Winnie the Pooh & Tigger Too!

Friday’s “Simon in the Morning” show featured an interview with Jim Cummings.  Mr. Cummings is the voice of both Winnie the Pooh and Tigger in the new movie, “Winnie the Pooh”. 
 When the interview was over, Scott, Jolynn and Jake were talking about cartoon voices they could do.  They also had listeners call in and do their best cartoon voices. 

At some point, one of the morning team mentioned something about the Muppets, and it gave me an idea.  I had this vision in my head of the “Simon in the Morning” team as cartoon characters; kind of like the Muppets. The idea stuck with me until I finally tried to create the characters. 
 While I was making each character, I was thinking what kind of background they had.  I decided the “Simon in the Morning” team do radio by morning and fight for justice at night.  I never fleshed out any real story line, just bits and pieces about the characters.  Somewhere along the line I added chipmunks also.  It’s because I thought of how Scott likes corn nuts, and how there are these chipmunks at Starvation Creek rest area in the gorge, (going east), that also love corn nuts. Following is what came to mind.
 Scott is the leader of the group; the one to hunt down trouble.  His only weakness is chipmunks.  The furry little creatures have an affinity for corn nuts, and we all know Scott does too.  When chipmunks see Scott, they come running, knowing they’ll find corn nuts.  This makes Scott laugh and laugh, rendering him weak and unable to work sometimes.  At the least, all the laughing makes his tummy hurt.
 Much like her day job, Jolynn covers all the details of any case the team is on.  She makes sure to get all the facts, and get them right, so inquiring listeners will have the full scoop of what’s going on in their fair city.  The only thing Jolynn doesn’t cover when on a case is the times chipmunks show up.  It was cute the first five or ten times; now it’s just routine.
 That leaves Earthquake Jake, a true defender of rules.  While Scott looks for trouble, Jake makes sure everything turns out the way it should at the end of the day, (or night as the case may be).  The only drawback to Jake’s job is when he has to bust his own team members.  A true stickler for rules, Jake has been known to call foul on anyone walking on a “don’t walk” light, even at 4 am, when there’s no one else around. The only thing Jake hasn’t been able to do is stop chipmunks from going after Scott.  He did try at first, with no luck; so he gave up.  Besides, the chipmunks are just so darned cute!

While I never got farther than brief little synopsis’ of the morning team, I did manage to create a cartoon character of each.  If only I could figure out how to animate them!  That’ll have to wait for another time though; too technical for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment