Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Confession

 Following is an email I sent to Scott, Jolynn and Jake this morning.  It's an example of what they get from me on a somewhat regular basis. The only thing I've done different, I've added pictures for this blog.


One thing I must explain also are the smiley faces...I like to make mine backwards, because it's different, and I can.  With that said, here's this morning's email:  


Hello, my name is Nola, and I’m addicted to the radio.

At first, I was in denial.   I didn’t HAVE to listen every weekday morning from 5 to 9, it was my CHOICE to be awake by then, on days I had off…Or if I was sick, of course I’d want to have the radio on while just laying there feeling miserable.
 Even when my hours were changed, I was in denial.  There was some slight panic as to how I was going to hear the whole show from 5 to 9, what with needing a daily shower, etc.  Found a solution to that, so all was well, I didn’t have a problem…Just an obstacle I had to find my way around.

At work it’s just routine that I do what I can in our department while wearing my headphones…On the earlier shift, there was some anxiety when I had to go on a cart run…No headphones, music, radio allowed outside the department while working.  Even then, it was only half an hour, and usually during a time where I wouldn’t miss as much as at other times.
 On the later shift now, I do what I need to in our department until 9…Then I’ll go down to our lower level to finish my filing…Can’t get the radio to work that far down (3rd sub-basement).   Still no problem here…Just having to be more creative in how to get my work done. 

I’ve hit bottom today.  I can no longer deny my addiction.  The day started normally enough…Up at 4, showered, dressed and listening until 5:30…Leave during a commercial…Get to Gateway Transit Center…Put headphones on, turn on mp3 player to the radio…Go to the MAX…
WAIT!!! WHAT’S THIS?!  I veered away from my routine last night…Put my mp3 player and headphones in my bag on the way home, because I was talking with a friend on MAX…Took my bag in the house…Didn’t need it this morning, so left it home…Got to Gateway…NO MP3 PLAYER, OR HEADPHONES!!!!...AAAAACCCCCKKKKK!!!!!

No time to go home, (24 miles one way is a long way to go!), all I could think was, “thank you that you repeat the “Celebrity Soup” later in the show"…Beyond that, I had no idea what I was missing…A half hour trip downtown with no radio…NOT COOL!!!   And it’s not pretty…Wanna know what happens when I don’t have my radio on MAX on my way to work?
THIS!!!  This is what happens!!!  I’m reduced to having to admit to my addiction!!!    ):    I can no longer deny it, or pass it off…I’m truly addicted to “Simon in the Morning”!!! 

As part of my healing process, I’ve written this out and sent it to you.  I will admit however, I’m not looking for a cure…I just wanted to share what developed in my head because  of the lack of radio.   (: 

For today, I just have to do stuff at my desk until 9, THEN do my filing, etc.  Then I just have to make it through the MAX ride home, and all will be well….I’ll make sure my mp3 player and headphones are where I won’t forget them tomorrow!  (:


As a side note, as soon as I got home this evening I put my mp3 player and headphones where I will NOT forget them tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment