Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Final NASA Space Shuttle Mission

On July 8, 2011, the space shuttle Atlantis launched on it's final mission into space.

NASA has been exploring space for over 40 years total, with the space shuttle program having started some 30+ years ago.  On July 20, 2011 the space shuttle program will come to an end.

Seeing the date of Atlantis' return, I don't think it's a coincidence that the last space shuttle mission coincides with the first moon walk.  Neil Armstrong took those first steps on the moon July 20, 1969; 42 years later, when Atlantis lands back on earth, the space shuttle program will no longer exist.  It's a sad thing really; though all good things must come to an end sometimes I suppose.

They were discussing Atlantis on "Simon in the Morning" today, and Scott thought it was cool that one of the songs played during this last mission was Keith Urban's "Days Go By". 
Of all the songs in the world, Scott loved the fact that it's a country song that was played.

Jake agreed, though kiddingly found it ironic that the American space program chose a song by an Australian.

I didn't really think about it at the time; however, later I had a weird, random thought, (most of my thoughts are), that I've decided to share here.

The thought I had was, "it could be worse, the crew could have woken up to David Bowie's "Space Oddity".  Seeing as it's the last mission and the crew is supposed to be coming home, that particular song, (though I love it), would have been kind of creepy.  Just my thoughts of course.

I'll end this blog with that song and let you decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment