Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jake Owen @ the Bing Lounge--9-30-11

I've been a fan of Jake Owen since his first hit, "Yee Haw" hit country airwaves six years ago.

Though I've been a fan, I was a little disappointed in Jake's latest CD, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night". When I reviewed the CD, I'd said I felt like the CD was just your "typical" Jake Owen CD, though a bit muted.

Also, I've seen Jake live before, though never in a setting like the Bing Lounge; it's always been at a very rowdy bar.

My experience seeing Jake in the Bing Lounge gave me a new perspective on not only Jake's CD, but Jake Owen himself.

When Jake came onstage, he was barefoot, and very laid back. He also told the audience he's very ADD, so he might ramble on a bit. No one seemed to mind at all.

He started his set with "The One That Got Away", then B-Dub, from Northwest Nights on KUPL, came onstage to do a short interview. Jake then sang his second song for the day, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night".


Sometime during the set, TicTak, from afternoons on KUPL, presented Jake with a dare. This time the dare was from an audience member, and for the first time, the challenge wasn't accepted. The dare was to sing "Footloose". Jake laughed, said no way, that no one should ever sing that song. Throughout the show however, he did a couple of other songs, and said they could be the challenge. The standout was Jake's version of a Lil Wayne song, "Bow Chicka Wow Wow"


While I was listening to Jake talk, and sing, I was reminded why I like live shows so much. There's just a different feel about them; the energy in the room from the crowd and the performers, all of that. Even a CD recorded live doesn't have that same "feel" that you can only get by actually being there.

This was especially evident while listening to Jake do songs from the new CD. All the things I felt were missing from the CD where there in the Bing Lounge. It gave me a new appreciation of Jake's latest CD; and while I still think it's more muted than it could be, I do hear it a bit differently now.

One of the new songs that really stood out was "Journey of Your Life". On the CD, it seems a bit reserved; done live however, you hear all the depth and emotion the song has to offer.


Another song Jake did, he's never put out on a CD. He said it was about a girl he used to date, and was an emotional song for him to do. The title is "Kiss You Good Morning". When Jake finished the tune, everyone in the audience agreed, if he ever does record and release the song, he's got a #1 hit for sure!


Jake had also told the crowd, he'd play as long as they'd let him, and he did; then took time for autographs and photos with anyone wanting one.

As I said at the beginning of this post, I've always been a fan of Jake Owen; his performance in the Bing Lounge solidified that for me for sure. Jake Owen fans know how good Jake is in concert; if you ever get a chance to see him in an intimate setting though, do, it'll be an experience you'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment