Thursday, September 29, 2011

An Addition To Today's Earlier Post

(The KUPL Listener Blog Word of the Day for Thursday, September 29, 2011 is in the post just below this one.)

Earlier today I posted a blog about songs that shouldn't ever be redone. I gave my opinion, and also added about songs that have been good, or better as a cover than the original.

Throughout the day I was thinking about other "remakes" or "covers" that have been done. For instance, there's an entire line of "Pickin' On" CD's. Each CD takes the music of a group, or artist, and redoes the songs as bluegrass. I discovered them when I was looking for a Brooks & Dunn CD for my son. Didn't find the one I was looking for, but did find "Pickin' On Brooks & Dunn". I knew my son liked bluegrass too, so I bought the CD for him; he loved it.

Bette Midler has done several covers of songs. The one that brought her to the attention of the masses was a cover of "Boogie, Woogie Bugle Boy", originally done by the Andrews Sisters in the 1940's.


I have two personal favorite cover songs that most people I know don't like. One is a song I heard in Tower Records a long time ago; a Punk Ska version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".


The other song is Prince's "Raspberry Beret", redone by the Derailers.


As I'm writing this, I keep thinking of other songs I could list here; however, I won't for now. I'll save it for a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment