Thursday, September 29, 2011

Songs That Should Never Be Redone

(Today's word will be in ALL CAPS, BOLD, ITALIC, and STRIKETHROUGH.)

On yesterday's "Simon in the Morning" show they had a bit about songs that should never be redone. The discussion came about because LeAnn Rimes has done a cover of George Jones' "He Stopped Loving Her Today". Scott felt this song is a true country classic, and should never be done by anyone else.


Scott, Jolynn and Jake also took calls from listeners about what songs they thought shouldn't be remade. In the process they also had people calling in with songs they thought should be. All of it got me to thinking what songs I thought shouldn't be redone, and ones that I thought were as good, or better than the original.

The only song I could think of that I thought should never have been redone isn't a country song; it's "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby. I know others have done the song, however, I have yet to hear one better than Bing.


The song "Drift Away" was originally written and sung by Dobie Gray. The first time I'd ever heard of Uncle Kracker, it was this song that he was doing. I've always loved this song, and I honestly like Uncle Kracker's version as much as the original.



As for songs I thought were better than the original, two stood out in my mind, "Walkin' In Memphis", and "Life Is A Highway". These songs were originally done by Marc Cohn, and Tom Cochrane, respectively. These are two of my favorite songs, but not by the original artists.

"Walkin' In Memphis" has been recorded by a lot of people, in all genres of music. For country, my favorite version is by Lonestar.


"Life Is A Highway" has been covered by both Chris LeDoux and Rascal Flatts. The Flatts' version is the most well known, having been in the movie "Cars". For me though, Chris LeDoux has always had the best version of this song.


Everyone has their opinion of things, this is just a sample of mine when it comes to song COVERS.

1 comment:

  1. SuperMaxtre is the name of electronic music.Redone music is part of Espetaculo and
    Mejar Fesa Del Mundo

    ReplyDelete