Friday, March 9, 2012

Of Life & Death

Today's post is in honor of two of my favorite recording artists. One is celebrating 70 years of life; the other, I'm remembering a life that ended seven years ago.

March 9, 1942, Mark Allen Lindsay was born in Idaho.

For those not familiar with the name, Mark was the original singer for Paul Revere & the Raiders. He was one of the biggest teen heartthrobs of the sixties.

I first saw Mark on TV one summer when I was nine years old. It was the show, "It's Happening", starring the Raiders. Even at nine, I was like many girls from that era, instantly taken with Mark's good looks and voice. I was further intrigued by the fact that the Raiders were from my home territory, the Pacific Northwest.

Over the years, because of the music, Mark and the local connection, I've been a loyal fan of the man and the band.

Happy 70th birthday Mark!

On a sadder note, it was seven years ago today that rodeo champion, and country singer Chris LeDoux passed away.

Known mostly for rodeo and singing, there were other facets to Chris' life that most didn't know. For instance, he was also an artist, working in metal sculpturing. His work was beautiful, and reflected his passions in life.

LeDoux was one country artist that both my son and I just had to see whenever he was playing nearby. Chris put on a show that was always excellent and worth seeing.

I remember when he first became ill, needing a liver transplant. Many automatically assumed Chris was a heavy drinker, and that's why the transplant was needed. In reality, he had a rare liver disease that had nothing to do with alcohol. Fortunately, a donor was found for LeDoux, and he was afforded a few more years on this earth.

The remission ended though, and on March 9, 2005, so did Chris LeDoux's fight for life.

I remember where I was, and how I found out Chris had died. Some friends and I were at the Ponderosa Lounge in Portland, Oregon, waiting to see David Lee Murphy. During the concert, David Lee mentioned that Chris had passed away that day, and told about Chris recording a song he'd written. He then sang the song, "Scatter the Ashes", in tribute to Chris.

I don't have a version of the song by David Lee Murphy, so I'll add Chris' version here, in tribute once again to a life ended too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment