Thursday, March 29, 2012

REVIEW--Makoto Japanese Buffet

(Today's word will be in ALL CAPS, BOLD, ITALIC, and STRIKETHROUGH.)



By no means is my son a picky eater; he'll try just about anything at least once. The things he likes, he wants more of; the things he doesn't, he avoids at all costs.

To date, the only things he really despises are pickles. He also can't stand mustard, or avocados, but has conceded that in other food, (like potato salad with mustard), he can deal with them.

To me, these are basic foods that most people like, except my son. Yet, while he doesn't like these simple things, he loves to try all kinds of foods. Ostrich, emu, bear, elk, buffalo, alligator, I could go on and on about the different foods he's tried, and liked.

Sushi is another favorite of my son, which brings me to the real subject of this blog; Makoto Japanese Buffet, in Vancouver, Washington.
We first tried Makoto last August, on my son's birthday. Customers of the restaurant eat free on their birthday, when accompanied by a paying customer. Since my son had wanted to try the place, we went, and were not disappointed.

Unlike most Asian buffets in our area, Makoto has truly fresh food. Instead of leaving something to sit until it's gone, the chefs at Makoto replace items as needed, and if something has sat for too long, they replace it with fresh food.

I honestly didn't think I'd be a fan of sushi, having tried it before and only liking a bit of what I'd had. Makoto however had me trying all types of sushi. While unlike my son, I didn't eat anything with TENTACLES, I found other types of sushi that was delicious.

In addition to sushi, the restaurant has a variety of other foods, such as orange chicken, calamari, pepper steak, and one of my favorites, tempura red snapper.

Since we hadn't been to Makoto since August, we decided to go again a few weeks ago. The only difference in the experience we had this time, compared to the first, is the amount of people in attendance.

The first time, business was fairly slow; this time though, the place was packed, with people waiting for available seating. The food however was just as excellent as we'd had in August.

Why I haven't written about this place before now, I don't know. What made me think about it was an email I'd received from a co-worker, asking me the name and location of the restaurant. It was his wife's birthday, and he wanted to take her there for dinner.

Some may think the price is a bit steep; I know I did at first. However, if you really like sushi, and want all you can eat, you'll get your money's worth. Lunch is $8.99 a person, while dinner is $14.99 Monday through Thursday. Friday dinner, and all day Saturday and Sunday is $15.99. This doesn't include beverages, or tax.

Makoto isn't somewhere my budget will allow me to frequent regularly; though it's nice to know there's somewhere nearby I can go when I have something to celebrate, or just want to treat myself.

Makoto Japanese Buffet is located at 1119 163rd Place, Vancouver Washington. Their hours are 11am to 2:30pm & 4:30pm to 9:30pm, Monday through Friday; and 11:30am to 9:30pm Saturday and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment