Thursday, December 20, 2012

Games People Play

(Today's word will be in red and bold.)


From the time I was little I've always liked playing games.  Like anyone else, some kept my interest for a long time, while others went by the wayside fairly quickly.

Of course, when *I* was younger that meant card games, board games and the like.  For kids, (and adults), nowadays, there are still the "old fashioned" games available; though computer games have become the new norm.

As an adult, I'm not immune to the games on the internet, take"Farmville" for instance.  I hadn't planned on playing, however, a co-worker talked me into it.  It was fun, and I played for quite awhile, at one point even signing our dog up for an account, so I could have more neighbors.  The idea came from one of my cousins, who had signed her dogs up also.

Anyway, after a few months, "Farmville" seemed to be getting a bit out of control.  Not only did someone have one farm, soon they were trying to earn points, etc., for a second farm, and on and on.  For myself, it got to a point where, if I wanted to work that hard on a farm, I'd have a real one.  One day I quit cold turkey, deleting my farm and the dog's as well.

After that, I vowed I wouldn't get caught up in a game like that again.  I'd still play other games, just not any like "Farmville".

Even before "Farmville" though, I'd found a game I really liked, called "Bubblez!".  Supposedly there are 45 levels to this game; though I honestly don't know if that's true or not.  It seems that once I've gotten to level 40, I've stalled out.  I'm not even going to admit how long it's been; it's been that long!  A few times I've had to start over at level 1, (when getting a new computer, etc.), and still no luck getting past level 40.  I like the game enough though that I haven't given up yet!

Sometimes I find games by accident; that's the case with "Pegland".  I don't even remember how I found this game; I just did, and it became one of my favorites.

Unlike Bubblez!, Pegland resets all online scores at midnight, eastern time, daily.  It's a game where players play alone, however their scores are shown to all who play, if it's within the top 10 of the day.

My only problem with this is, I find myself NOT playing if someone has already gone in and made a ridiculously high score for the day.  I guess I'm just not competitive enough or something.

Then there's "Words With Friends".  I've always been fond of word games, and now I can play online with others who do also.  I also like it because it's not timed,  and you don't have to play every day.  Nothing will happen if you miss a day or two for any reason.  I'm also finding that I'm learning new words by playing "Words With Friends", I like that.

Then we come to the reason for this post, "Farmville 2".  A co-worker, (not the same one that got me hooked on the original "Farmville"), is playing and showed me the differences between it and the original version; so much for vows.

Yes, I DID start a farm, though only one; and with the understanding that, if it becomes a hassle like before, I'm deleting it.

If I knew why I started it up again, I"d tell you here; since I don't though, your guess is as good as mine!  I guess we'll have to wait and see if the farm stays or goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment