Tuesday, December 11, 2012

So Sad...

Well, it's happened again; another shooting where innocent people have been hurt or killed.

We hear the stories almost every day now, it seems, from one corner of the world, to the other, about gunmen opening fire in any number of public places.  The most recent of these shootings took place close to home for me, at Clackamas Town Center, just outside Portland, Oregon.
On the afternoon of Tuesday, December 11, 2012, a man wearing a mask, bullet proof vest and carrying a gun entered the mall through Macy's, making his way to the food court.  Eyewitnesses reported at least sixty shots being fired.

In the resulting aftermath, at least three people were killed, including the gunman, and at least one injury was reported.

My  question is the same as anyone else's in a situation like this:  Why?  At this point the question is rhetorical; it's going to take time to comb over every detail of the crime scene, interview witnesses, etc., to try to find the answer.  When all is said and done, there may not be any concrete answers as to why this happened; the person who could tell the police exactly why, has already turned the gun on himself, ending his life.

Again, why?  If someone is going to kill themself, why go to a public place, and take it out on innocent people first?  That question may be one that's never answered.

As I write this, I can tell I'm rambling.  I'm confused, and like others want answers that aren't readily available at this time.  Maybe somewhere inside I think if I had answers it would ease the confusion, or something, I don't really know for sure though.

I do know that my heart goes out to every person that was at Clackamas Town Center when the shooting occured; and to their families and friends as well.

At the moment, as far as I know, no one I know was there; however, it doesn't stop me from feeling for those who were.  As with any tragedy, please keep these people in your thoughts and prayers during this sad time of what should be a happy and joyous season.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Nolan~ Cassie & I were gonna go to Macys today to use a giftcard to there for some perfume for Tim's Mom. That would have been right were the shooing started!!!!! So glad my neighbor came over & stayed to long for me to take a shower, go to the mall & be back in time to make dinner. So we didn't go after all because I was to lazy to get dressed and head out. Thank God for being lazy huh?! We would have been there at about the time the shootings started too. WOW!
    You are right that we will never know why. I also agree that if the jerk wanted to die why did he have to take other people with him? I was so mad that he shot himself! I wanted him found alive so he coulkd say why & then have him get a dose of his own medicine!!!!!!AARRRRGGGGG!
    Take care of you & yours. Miss ya and love ya honey!

    ReplyDelete