Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Holiday Gifts & Daily Jokes

Normally I try not write posts that are "downers"; sometimes though, as with the shooting at Clackamas Town Center, I have to get my emotions out.

Before the shooting, I'd had another post planned for today.  Not *quite* a downer post, just not as upbeat as I try to be.  Again, until I get the emotions out, it will gnaw at me.

With that said, today's post is what I'd originally intended to write.  It was inspired by talk on "Simon in the Morning" yesterday, involving two separate subjects.

The first thing that had me thinking about writing this post had to do with gifting certain people at Christmas time.  The discussion had to do with should you "tip", (for lack of a better word), the mailman, your garbage man, your hairdresser, etc., extra at this time of year; and how much?

Now, I'm not an inconsiderate person; I understand tipping people, etc., for a job well done, on a daily basis.  But $10 to $25 per person, because it's Christmas time; as a gift?  I for one can't afford that; I barely make it through getting for my family, let alone others.

Okay, yes, if you're really close to the person, then yeah, why not?  However, if you're not, you're supposed to give them something anyway? To be honest, I don't have a clue what my garbage man looks like.  For all I know, it's not even the same person from week to week.

A newspaper delivery person called in to the show, saying how he counts on those "tips" every year, to help him buy his Christmas gifts; that kind of struck a nerve with me.  While I understand that this person's job isn't easy, (up very early, having to deliver papers no matter what the weather is like, etc.), why is anyone expected to give this person even $10, so they can buy Christmas presents for their family?  Yes, I realize, it's the season of giving, and I sound very selfish; it's not meant that way.

How about instead of cash, or a check, the money is donated to a charity in that person's name?  At least that way the money would go to those who need it even more than myself, or the person waiting for the gift.  Yeah, we're probably both strapped for cash; but the money would at least be going to those who need it even more than we do.

Now that I've said my piece on that, (just my opinion of course), on to the next subject from yesterday's "Simon in the Morning":  Practical jokes.

Practical jokes have been around for eons.  Most are harmless fun, though some aren't.  A lot of that, I think, has to do with the person, or persons doing the joke, whether it's done in jest, or with malice, and how far the joke is taken.

For awhile now, the "Simon in the Morning" team have been doing what they call "Simonizers".  A listener will call, or email asking Scott, Jolynn and Jake to pull a joke on a friend, family member, or co-worker. The morning team then set up the joke, make the phone call, record it, and play it back on the air at a later time.

Since the prank call of someone impersonating the Queen of England, and the resulting suicide of the nurse who took the call, people have been questioning the practice. Several people emailed the morning team saying they should stop.  Others said they shouldn't have started it at all.

Because Scott, Jolynn and Jake truly care what their listeners think, they opened the subject up to their audience.  While there were those who said it should be stopped, there were several callers who said no, it's all in fun, keep "Simonizing" people.

And as the morning team was quick to explain, they never mean any harm, they always stop the joke before someone gets too upset, (if they do), and most importantly, they get everyone's permission to air the end result on the radio.

To be honest, I'm not sure yet whether the "Simonizing" will continue; the mall shooting has been the current subject since then.  We'll have to see, once things settle down and get back into a normal routine.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks all of you share it very useful, please let me know where to buy it ?

    Philippe

    SEOer

    (Keyword: How To Install Best Phone Call Recorder On Android)

    ReplyDelete