Thursday, December 8, 2011

Do You Hear What I Hear?

(Today's word will be in ALL CAPS, BOLD, ITALIC, and STRIKETHROUGH.)

Christmas songs seem to be one of those things people either love or hate; with very few being in between. Personally, I love Christmas songs, enough that I've been known to play them in the middle of summer if I feel in the mood.

Then again, I'm not one for the more "traditional" Christmas music. Probably the closest I get to anything traditional are songs from Christmas shows, like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".

My all-time favorite Christmas song is "Step Into Christmas", by Elton John. Christmas time isn't official until I hear this song.


Even my favorite traditional Christmas song isn't done in a traditional style. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts make the oldie, but goodie, "Little Drummer Boy" rock!


I listen to country music 99% of the time now, so naturally I have some favorite country Christmas songs also. Staying in the offbeat vein, I have to share Montgomery Gentry's version of "Merry Christmas From the Family".


Country artist, Deborah Allen, released a song in 1984 that, in my opinion, is more rock than country. Not that it matters, because "Rockin' Little Christmas", definitely is on my list of favorites. Looking back at the video though, you can definitely tell it was the 80's!


Then again, I can think of at least three Christmas songs I like that aren't wild or crazy. I couldn't find a full video of the song, "An Angel Gets It's Wings", by Vince Gill and Trisha Yearwood; instead, I found a Target commercial from 1993. That was the year the store was promoting the movie "It's A Wonderful Life", and used the Gill/Yearwood duet in their TV ads. Anyone who bought a CD at Target, by either artist, received a free cassette tape of the entire song used in the ads.


While on the subject of angels, "The Angels Cried" by Alan Jackson and Alison Krauss also makes my list of favorite holiday tunes.


A list of Christmas music wouldn't be complete without at least one George Strait song. With that said, I present my favorite one, "Christmas Cookies".


I could go on and on with all the different Christmas songs I like and have to hear at least once every year. I think by now though you know, my idea of Christmas music is definitely not NORMAL; and I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment