Monday, December 5, 2011

A Moment Please

I'd like to take a moment to address something that, from the response I've seen, is obviously dear to many listeners of KUPL; " A Moment with Lola".

Lola's moments are inspirational stories shared by middayer, Lola Montgomery, at 11:27 am, Monday through Friday. Well, at least it WAS at that time during the week, until now.

This is Lola's Facebook post from Sunday:

The reason I had a bad day friday is because The Moment with Lola will no longer be heard on the radio. Research shows that there is a significant drop in that time area that causes the station to dip in ratings. This one hurts my heart because it is a huge part of who I am.

At this time there have been 111 comments on this post, from KUPL listeners who are NOT happy that Lola's moments will no longer be heard.

If you go to Lola's Facebook page, you can find even more activity from listeners, from petions to contacting KUPL's Program Director.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/lola.montgomery


This post isn't to take sides in the issue; it's my way of expressing my feelings. I'm one of the listeners, like many, who love Lola's moments. I can remember hearing them even before Lola came to KUPL.

I know that Lola started her moments as a tribute to Paul Harvey. She grew up listening to Harvey, and liked what she heard enough to want to carry on the tradition, in her own way. As her Facebook post states, it's a part of her life. For someone who's an open book with her listeners, not being able to share her moments is like ripping a page from that book.

For those who may not have heard any of Lola's moments on the air, you can hear, and read them on her blog on KUPL's website:

http://www.kupl.com/author/lola/

Some of my favorite stories I've heard Lola tell have been about a jar of marbles; a yellow paper clip; an Irish wolfhound, and a fork.

I won't tell any of them here, they can be found on Lola's blog listed above.

As I said, I'm not here to take sides on this; I just know that I'm one of the many listeners who will sorely miss Lola's moments everyday. This is my way of letting others know how I feel. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment