Monday, December 26, 2011

Unraveling The Internet

I have a natural curiosity that makes me want to find answers to all the questions I have. Doesn't matter what the question is, if there's an answer, I want to know it.

When I was younger it wasn't as easy to get the answers to everything I wanted to know. With the internet however, finding answers can be as easy as a few clicks. For me, it's like pulling a string; you pull to see how far you'll get before it stops. Will you be able to unravel the whole thing, or will a knot get in your way?

It's amazing what you can find on the internet, with just a tiny bit of information to go on. It's also kind of scary.

For myself, as I said, it's the curiosity getting the better of me. I see it as a challenge, of "can I find what I'm looking for"; and if I can, "how much more can I find out"?

Sometimes what I'm looking for is beneficial. I need information to be able to write a blog, or find something at the store, or an address of someone, things like that. Or I'm looking for the same type of information for my mom or dad, or a friend.

Sometimes though, I go looking for things, just to see if I can. This is where the kind of scary part comes in.

In searching the internet, I discovered, totally on accident, just how easy it is to find someone's social security number.
Granted the people are deceased, however, I can't help thinking this is how social security numbers can be stolen. While *I* wouldn't use the information for anything,(other than satisfying my curiosity), I know there are others out there who would, and probably have. For that reason, I would think the Social Security Death Index would be harder to get to than it is.

While I find these things, and start pulling the string to unravel them, I wonder how many others are doing the same thing, for all the wrong reasons. I also can't help but wonder how much information someone could find on the internet, if they actually pay for it.

Everything I've ever found on the internet, I've found for free; I refuse to actually pay for something that may or may not benefit me. I suppose if there was something I actually had to know, for other than curiosity, I *might* spend money; though I seriously doubt it.

That set my mind in motion though, of just how much someone could find out, by actually paying to find it; and what would they use the information for when they had it? It's a question I'll probably never have answered; though it's still in the back of my mind.

My point to this post is that the internet can be a fun place to explore, and kind of scavenger hunt for information. I just feel that there are some things that should be less accessible to the general public.

No comments:

Post a Comment