Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Due West @ the Bing Lounge--4-24-12

Due West-(l-r):  Brad Hull, Tim Gates, Matt Lopez


I usually miss the noontime shows at the Bing Lounge, as I'm working at that time.  Once in awhile though, if there's someone I *really* want to see, I can usually get away long enough to catch the show.  That was the case with Due West.

I've loved this trio since I first heard their songs "Between the Bible and the Belt", and "When the Smoke Clears", on the radio.  I saw them perform live awhile ago at the Ponderosa Lounge as well; so when I heard they were coming to the Bing Lounge I knew I HAD to be there!

 From the moment the three, (Brad Hull, Tim Gates, and Matt Lopez), hit the stage, they kept the audience mesmerized with their beautiful harmony.  I think Earthquake Jake put it best when he told them that of all the acts that have performed on the Bing Lounge stage, Due West are best at what they do.  Anyone who knows Jake, knows he doesn't say anything he doesn't mean; the man cannot, and will not tell a lie.

During the interview segment, the guys said that their biggest influence are bands like Alabama, Diamond Rio, Restless Heart, and other similar groups.  When asked how they got together, they told how they'd met at a party where people were taking turns singing various songs.  By the end of the evening, everyone else had stopped to listen to the three of them singing together.  The guys said people at the party told them how tight their harmonies were and asked how long they'd been performing together, to which they responded, "about three hours now".  From then on, they began working together as a group.

The members of Due West write some of their own music, and also look to others for songs.  They said they don't usually do cover versions of songs, however, they had one that they had been doing for awhile.  Since Lionel Richie has just released his album of duets with country artists,  Due West did their version of "Stuck On You" for the Bing Lounge audience.  In one word:  AMAZING!!!

Another cool song the band performed was their latest single, "Things You Can't Do In A Car".

All too soon the show was over; however the guys did stay to meet members of the audience, sign autographs and have their picture taken with everyone.  Though I'd seen them perform before, I'd never met the band.  Let me just say, Brad, Tim and Matt are three of the nicest people you'll ever meet!

It happened to be an audience member's birthday that day, and when she told the guys that during the meet and greet, they did an impromptu version of "Happy Birthday" for her.  Wish I'd gotten that on video!  I get the feeling these three could sing a phone book in perfect harmony!

Though they haven't made it as big as some artists out of Nashville, keep an eye and ear out for Due West.  I predict big things are going to happen for them!


No comments:

Post a Comment